Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Color Themed Potlucks: Brown

After our quite wholesome green lunch, the group decided it was time to get down with some carne. We chose brown for the next color. At let me tell you, it was all about the meat. I decided to make my Dad’s Chili (see blog from January 5th for recipe) and to try making chickpeas from scratch for hummus. I used the “quick” bean cooking recipe which is you boil water, enough to cover the amount of beans you want, pour in the beans for 2 minutes, turn off the burner, and then let them soak for one hour. Then, you cook them for about an hour to an hour and a half. While cooking them, I added garlic and lemon peel in attempt to enhance the flavors for the hummus. After the beans were done, I mixed them with tahini, olive oil, lemon and lots of garlic. It turned out pretty good, but was not as creamy as some hummus I have tasted, but I’m not sure how to make it that way, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.



Other items included in the brown contingency were two types of meatloaf; one stuffed with cheese and parsley, and another stuffed and wrapped with bacon, pasta with mushrooms, teriyaki chicken, chunks of steak, and little hamburger sliders (which went great with the chili, I might add). For dessert, chocolate ruled with brownies, ice cream, and the most decadent mousse from my colleague’s restaurant, Curbside CafĂ©. And she didn’t just bring a tad; she brought an entire tub, in which I indulged in one too many servings. It was a truly wanton feast.


No comments: