Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting Inspired by Seasonal Fruits

Recently, I made my second trip to Dynamo Donuts. I had to try the chocolate spiced donut because it is on my 7x7 Scavenger Hunt list, but I couldn’t resist to try another one, also. I chose the apricot cardamom. This was right at the beginning of the summer so it was exciting to see Dynamo use apricots, which were just coming into season. The spiced, glazed round surged with an apricot gel forcing a boom boom pow across my taste buds. The combination of the cardamom and apricot produced such a sweet/spicy harmony in my mouth that I had no choice but to roll my eyes to the back of my head, inhale deeply, and allow the sensation to activate my neurons and spill through the rest of my body.

A couple weekends later, I went for the first time to the wonderful Alemany Farmer’s Market where peaches inundated most of the vendors’ stashes. As I tried one of the peach samples, my brain retracted to that moment in Dynamo where I allowed intense flavor combo to rush through my body. I decided in that moment I was going to make a spiced peach pie.

I love making pies because as long as you use fresh fruit, there isn’t much to it. I made the buttery crust from a recipe that I got on the Food Network website. I think crusts are really easy to make, but if it’s too daunting for you, store bought crust work just fine. Then, I sliced about 2 pounds of peaches into a bowl. I mixed together 2 tablespoons of flour with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and of course, the doozy, cardamom. Many recipes call for anywhere from a half of a cup to a cup of sugar, but I just don’t like my pies that sweet. I would prefer to pair it with a nice vanilla bean ice cream. I put the fruit in the unbaked piecrust, put on a lattice top, brushed on and egg wash, and baked it for 45 minutes.



The pie was such an inspiration for me to get out to the markets, buy locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables, and to get creative with my uses for them. I am so lucky to live in a place so lush with produce and farmer’s markets every day of the week. Happy summer!!!

3 comments:

Gregory said...

I am very impressed with this pie.

katie jo said...

Hell Ya on that Pie, girl! Gonna try to hit up Dynamo this weekend. Is this the place that has bacon wrapped donuts?

Speaking of good breaky eats- have you tried the Belgin Waffle hot dog at Little Skillet?

This stinkin city is the BEST!!

Celise said...

Dynamo has maple bacon donuts. Good, but not as amazing as I thought. I blogged about them before, like one of my first ones. I gotta try this Little Skillet. Thanks for the tip. I <3 SF, too.