Monday, August 9, 2010

Matt Romero’s Eggplant “Sandwiches”


Oh, they joys of summer. Not to say that this summer in San Francisco has even felt remotely like summer, but at least the meals I consume have the fresh essence and color of summertime dishes. I found a recipe for Eggplant Sandwiches in Real Simple magazine, and I love this use of these seasonal fruits and veggies.




These are little almost caprese sandwiches with fried eggplant instead of the bread, squarshing in goat cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and basil. In attempt to be a little bit healthier, I baked the breaded eggplant slices for about 20 minutes on each side rather than frying them. I also used a bright yellow heirloom tomato because that is what I had around, as well as cheve for the goat cheese. I thought this recipe lacked balsamic vinegar, so I sprinkled a bit on for good measure. The heavenly mixture of balsamic, basil, tomato, cheese and eggplant swooned me into believing I was out for a gourmet meal when it was just another Tuesday night.

No comments: