Saturday, January 22, 2011

Back to the Mecca: The Big Egg

At the beginning of November, I went back to the mecca of food carts, Portland, Oregon. My mom was turning 60 and for her 60th birthday she did 6 six mile walks in 6 different cities raising money for 6 different organizations. Lucky for me, the last walk on the weekend of her birthday was in Portland. Man, I love this town. The bridges, the foliage, the houses, the beer, but let's get real, it's really all about the food.

After a night of IPA consumption, the post-walk celebration, I found myself in serious need of one of my ultimate cravings, a breakfast burrito. I did a little research and discovered that The Big Egg is walking distance from my cousin's pad where I was staying.  My cousin, brother and I dragged our head-ache ridden asses over there to check things out. When I ordered my breakfast wrap, she told me "45 minutes, ok?" As much as that news broke my heart, I knew I was in for a treat, and boy o boy, I sure was!

I'm glad they call it a wrap, because this is not really a breakfast burrito. The flavors only have hints of Mexican cuisine. The flour tortilla is grilled, so it's just slightly crisp, then it's stuffed with scrambled eggs, roasted red potatoes, and portabello mushrooms. You choose your cheese and meat, and per the cashier's suggestion, I chose gorgonzola and per my own obsession, I chose bacon. Now here is where the whole thing explodes into a different level; their sauce is a fire-roasted poblano salsa and a yogurt-lime sauce. It sounds weird, I know, but something happened when all of these flavors mixed together to make me wince with pleasure with every bite I took. The rich, heavy gorgonzola cut with the salty, thick, chewy/crispy bacon power-punched by the poblanos and soothed by the yogurt-lime sauce. I reluctantly shared bites with my brother and cousin. The wrap sent me in such a food-stoned state that I felt like I was wearing cloud slippers for the rest of the day.


No comments: