Thursday, March 29, 2012

Street Tacos in Vallarta

Probably my most favorite thing to eat in Mexico are the street tacos. When I was there last summer, I went on a taco tour, with my objective being to try as many weird tacos as possible. I tried eye muscle, lip, tongue, and the most surprisingly good one was the tripe. But nothing surpasses my love for tacos al pastor. For those of you unfamiliar with these glistening gems of meat, they are slabs of pork stacked atop one another upon a spicket rotating around a wall of coals. Often times, they plop a pineapple on top of this lovely hurricane of meat to allow the sweet juices to drizzle over the meat as it hypnotizes you while it turns around and around. The guy that prepares your taco (I don't know what they are called) artfully swipes his knife across the meat as it flies into your tiny corn tortilla, then he tops it with a sliver of pineapple if you desire. You then move along to the array of salsas they have with all different levels of spicy to pick your poison and dress your taco. The meat is crispy on the outside, and juicy and tender on the inside. Talking about it makes me want to go back to Mexico right now.

For years, I thought that these guys were just guys that sliced meat, but now I know...they are magicians. I was just intoxicated enough one night to ask this guy if I could try to slice the meat off myself, and he let me have a go. I massacred the poor meat with my uneven cuts and carves. It was a revelation to me at how talented these guys are. I think the pictures can tell the story better than I. The pic of the final product is kind of blurry, but I think you get the idea that I suck at this....





No comments: