Friday, September 21, 2012

Quail Eggs Are Cute!


Recently I was at my neighborhood market, and my egg guy was selling ovos de codorna or quail eggs.  They were only 5 reais ($2.50) for 30 little, cute, mini-dinosaur looking eggs. I had never cooked with quail eggs, so I decided to give it a whirl. They are a bit tougher to crack than regular eggs, so I youtubed a video on how to do it without breaking the yolk. Also, I recommend cracking them into a cup or a ramekin before putting them in the pan, ensuring not to damage the delicate yolk. The other day, I decided to make a hash inspired from one of my fav cooking shorts, Working Class Foodies. I altered the recipe a bit using onions, bell peppers and garlic. Instead of fresh sausage, I used the Brazilian household essential, linguiça, which is smoked sausage. Man, I love this stuff. It stays in the fridge forever and has a smokey depth that goes well with various dishes. I did not follow the Working Class Foodies advice of using a non-stick pan and regretted it as much of my meal was left to be scrubbed off with some serious elbow grease. However, my brunch was still epic with the perfectly tender potatoes and robust smokey flavors oozing from the linguiça. The quail eggs were cooked in my non-stick pan which is why they turned out so delicately adorable atop my hash. Lately every meal I make is freckled with fresh herbs, so I used parsley here. See how charming!


1 comment:

magdawagner said...

I'm catching up on your blog and I'm getting really hungry! I better take a break ;)
magda