Monday, September 17, 2012

Inspired in the Kitchen

When I moved to São Paulo seven months ago, I had no idea how my life was going to change. I found a job as an English teacher, and it is definitely one of the craziest occupations I have ever had. I get up early for lessons and return home late. I walk, metro, train and bus it everywhere, all to the pounding of music through my headphones. Completely opposite of what I was doing in the US, meaning sitting in front of a computer all day every day. Now I have work sporadically throughout the day, giving me time to come home during the day and develop my skills in the kitchen. Having time to prepare a nice lunch brings me a happiness that only food can deliver. I am utterly grateful for this time in my life to really put my heart into my growing passion. Here are some pictures of some of my dishes.

Yakisoba with chicken, carrots, peppers, and cabbage. I liked this video for inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PMbdv4L90


Quesadilla with homemade tortillas topped with avocado pico de gallo. Used this video for the tortillas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8gWQxNStiw

Hamburger with fries and cheese sauce. I made a bechamel cheese sauce, and it was sinful. 


The Armstrong Christmas classic, Lasagne. Recipe courtesy of Great Grandma Katherine, and not to be published. 


On the 4th of July, I celebrated Independence day with food. BBQ ribs, State Fair Potato Salad, and pasta salad.

Sopa de Mandioquinha, a delicious Brazilian soup for the "harsh" winter.  A mandioquina is a sweet, starchy vegetable used quite commonly here in Brazil. Used this video as a guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uD3Ze-uaQ

This is one of my favs! Thai Lettuce Cups! I mix eggplant with the beef to make it heartier and with more veg.
Got my recipe from Cooking Light.

This is my mom's Chili recipe, topped with avocado, purple onions, and cilantro. 

The next day I made a potato hash and covered it in the leftover chili and a fried egg.

Another recipe from Cooking Light, Egg poached in tomato sauce with onions an peppers. Very tasty. 

Sweet, spicy, pungent Thai Pineapple Fried Rice. I love the curry, raisins, and cashews in this recipe.


Fish Tacos with mango salsa on homemade tortillas from the same recipe as above from the quesadilla.
A round toasted bread as a bed for a fresh, ripe tomato, a kale-leek-sausage mixture, crowned with a sunny-side up quail egg and sprinkled with fresh parsley. Delish!!!


So, that's what I have been up to lately. Will keep on experimenting and trying new things. If you want more details on any of the recipes above, just let me know!

1 comment:

Luisa Pedreschi said...

Celise I love this blog! Your passion for food really inspires people. How did you make the yakisoba sauce? I love this dish but can't seem to find the sauce here in the US. I know in Brazil I found it at the feira. have you seen those? They are like pre made kits for yakisoba. They give you the noodles, the chopped veggies and a bag with the sauce...it's great!! I'm sure your homemade one is better though.