Monday, October 1, 2012

Comforts of Home

It’s amazing when you are in another country and broke what you can learn about cooking the comforts of home. Here in Brazil, of course, you can buy many American treasures, but you usually end up paying an arm and a leg for them. One of my guilty pleasures that I find myself longing for is ranch dressing. Tonight I came home with a hankering for a Chef “style” Salad, which must be topped with a creamy dressing. I looked up a recipe for the sacred ranch dressing, and amazingly had more or less all the ingredients on hand. The only thing missing was sour cream, which I have not seen here

in Brazil, anyway, so I substituted it with Creme de Leite. This creamy sauce thickener has done well for me in substitution for sour cream in other dishes I have made here. The result was even better than America’s own Hidden Valley. The fresh herbs and garlic pack a punch that you could never find in a packaged product. Fellow Americans, please do not be afraid to explore the easiness of creating your favorite guilty pleasures in the comfort of your own home…I am talking about food you guys…


No comments: